June 1, 2021

Golfers in Buxton are not only enjoying being back out on the course now Covid-19 restrictions have been lifted; they are also enjoying new and improved facilities at the 130-year-old Buxton and High Peak Golf Club.

Through two major grants over the last two years from the Tarmac’s national Landfill Communities Fund*, the Club has been able to install a short six-hole course and refurbish locker room facilities.

The grants totalled £62,000. The short course was finished shortly before the first lockdown in 2020 and can now be officially opened.  The course can be used by anyone and the artificial grass greens allow it to be used all year round. It is a perfect  opportunity for anyone to give the game a try and,  in particular, the club is hoping to attract younger people and people with disabilities to use the facility.

For the second project, the Club was able to take advantage of the lockdown closure to start and finish the revamp of the 30-year-old facilities in the washroom, toilets and shower room in the gents’ locker room.

Bob Scott, Club chairman, said: “The Buxton and High Peak Golf Club is extremely grateful to Tarmac for its very generous support for these projects which will provide great benefits to members and the wider Buxton population. We have seen an increased interest in golf, from all ages, over the last year.  Starting golf and practicing can be difficult for any newcomer; the new Par 3 Academy course provides an excellent place to have a go. We expect this short course will be very popular with Juniors, visitors to Buxton and  local organisations, as well as members honing their short game. There is a simple booking system on the Club website. All visitors are also welcome to use our bar /restaurant at the Waterswallows Road Clubhouse and benefit from the transformed washrooms. We look forward to seeing you”.

Tarmac’s Tunstead Stone and Powders director, Pete Butterworth, went along to take a look at the finished projects and to try out the short course for himself.  He said: “Whilst we operate several sites locally including Tunstead, Hindlow and Ballidon, and support community projects in the area where we can, we are very pleased that this local Club has been awarded a grant from the company’s national Landfill Communities Fund.

“The new short course will really open up the Club’s appeal and attract more people to give golf a try.  And the locker room facilities are now significantly improved, enhancing the Club for both members and visitors alike.”

*The Tarmac Landfill Communities Fund (or Landfill Tax Credit Scheme as it was formerly known) enables landfill operators like Tarmac, to donate part of their annual tax liability to enrolled Environmental Bodies for a variety of approved community and environmental projects.  Landfill operators can reclaim 90% of their contribution as a tax credit which means the remaining 10% must be provided either by them or an independent third party.  Through the fund Tarmac donates around £1 million each year to community projects throughout the UK.  The fund is open to applicants who meet the strict criteria for projects delivering community benefit.  For more information, please go to

Picture caption: Tarmac Tunstead’s Stone and Powders director Pete Butterworth tries out the new short course at Buxton and High Peak Golf Club. With him are (left to right):  Dave Howard – Men’s captain; Elizabeth Gee – Ladies captain; Ron Clarke Club president.  And in the background (left) Jon White Hon Sec. and (right) Nick Berry, Club professional.